No positions available at this time. Check back soon.
Employee Mission Statement
Valley City employees take pride in their job, workplace and the city as a whole; engage in forward thinking to enhance our community’s quality of life; and promote a positive team atmosphere that is committed to providing reliable, innovative services.
The City of Valley City provides several benefits through the North Dakota Public Health Insurance Trust and the North Dakota Public Employees Retirement System on the date of hire. After a six-month introductory period, the City provides group life insurance at no cost. For more details and additional benefits, see the Employee Benefits Summary.
The City of Valley City was incorporated in 1883 and utilizes a City Commission form of government with a Home Rule Charter. The City has four city commission members and one President (Mayor) elected to four-year, overlapping terms. The City also has an elected municipal judge.
City-owned Municipal Utilities
Other city-owned Public Works
- Sanitary Sewer
- Water Treatment Plant
- Fire Department
- Police Department
- Engineering, Building Inspection and Permitting
- Property Assessment
- Finance Department
- Legal/Human Resources Department
Community Profile - The City of Bridges
Valley City , population 6,380, is located in the heart of eastern North Dakota along the Sheyenne River Valley Scenic Byway and was recently named the most beautiful city in the state.
For more information, visit the Chamber of Commerce & Economic Development website at www.hellovalley.com
Valley City is the county seat of Barnes County and is located along I-94, between Fargo, the largest city in North Dakota, and Jamestown, the ninth largest city. Fargo: less than 1 hour. Jamestown: 30 minutes.
Landmarks and Attractions
- Eight historic bridges
- Medicine Wheel Park
- Barnes County Museum and Rosebud Visitor Center Museum
- National Scenic Byway with opportunities for
bicycling and motorcycle tours, along with fall color drives.
- North Dakota Winter Show: PRCA rodeo, livestock shows, concert, community olympics, chili cookoff
- Rally in the Valley: parade, car show, street dance
- Soap Box Derby: national qualifier
- North Dakota State Pinochle Tournament
- Sheyenne River Fest: canoeing and kayaking, pontoon rides, vendors
- Bridge City Cruisers Summer Cruise Nights
- Summer Nights on Central concert series
- Gaukler Wellness Center: opened in 2016 and
features basketball courts, indoor pool, hot tub, fitness and weightlifting equipment, group fitness classes, walking track, and indoor playground
- Outdoor community pool with waterslide
- Four city parks
- Two nine-hole golf courses: Bjornson Park
Municipal and Country Club
- North Country National Scenic Hiking Trail
- Lake Ashtabula: 27-mile waterway with camping, fishing, boating, swimming, and wildlife viewing
- Fort Ransom State Park (30 miles): hiking, biking, camping, horseback riding, winter sports
Valley City is an outstanding community in which to reside and raise a family. Educational opportunities include the Valley City Public School District and the nationally ranked Valley City State University. Additional employment opportunities are available in the education, manufacturing, engineering, health care, agriculture, government, energy, and technology sectors. New residents will also find a variety of local boutique shops and restaurants. Housing incentives are available.